?

Log in

Georgians Opposed to Prohibition
 
[Most Recent Entries] [Calendar View] [Friends]

Below are the 10 most recent journal entries recorded in Georgians Opposed to Prohibition's LiveJournal:

Sunday, May 28th, 2006
6:30 pm
[zra]
Study finds no marijuana-lung cancer link
link

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Marijuana smoking does not increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer, according to the findings of a new study at the University of California Los Angeles that surprised even the researchers.

Instead, the study, which compared the lifestyles of 611 Los Angeles County lung cancer patients and 601 patients with head and neck cancers with those of 1,040 people without cancer, found no elevated cancer risk for even the heaviest pot smokers. It did find a 20-fold increased risk of lung cancer in people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.Collapse )




Marijuana-derived drug curbs bladder pain
link

Washington: The animal model study presented recently at the annual meeting of the American Urological Association showed that Ajulemic acid (IP 751), a primary synthetic analog of a metabolite of THC-the principal active component of marijuana, can effectively curb pain and bladder overactivity in hypersensitive bladder disorders such as interstitial cystitis (IC).

Read more...Collapse )
Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006
1:52 am
[zra]
ok, this guy is in kentucky...
Mr. Hawpe,

First, thanks so much for your thought out response. I always enjoy the
opportunity to discuss policy and society, and this happens to be a
favorite subject of mine. I hope you'll appreciate the frank nature of my
email and recognize that I am being direct in the interest of effective
communication.

I would have an easier time trying to swallow the notion that you were
trying to convey the actual magnitude of the situation regarding marijuana
had the headline of your article not been: "Marijuana's not very funny -
just look at the statistics (paying particular mind to the plural usage of
'statistic')." Indeed, you'll understand what I mean when you recognize
that your article includes only one statistic. Moreover, said statistic
in the context of your argument completely overlooks the admitted 90% of
marijuana users who seem to have no trouble shaking the drug or moderating
use. The facts are that marijuana prohibition is a risk to many more
people than marijuana itself is, regardless of circumstance. Really go
dig through the numbers if you care to debate that point.

The war on marijuana is a bad idea for the same reason that Jimmy Moore's
notion of a government run drug monopoly is: They are both prime examples
of government doing more harm than good. A domestic policy shift focused
on harm reduction, voluntary treatment, accountability, and honesty on the
part of those in power would be a big step to increasing law enforcement
effectiveness and a huge relief to many state budgets, as well as federal
ones. Would you like to hear about those statistics?

I'm all yours if you want to know a bit more about the subject.

Best regards,

Zachary Sycks
President
Georgians Opposed to Prohibition

> Mr. Sycks:
> The point of my column was to suggest that some marijuana advocates - not
> all, but some - take a very casual approach to the potential downside of
> using pot. The fiction in which they indulge is that we shouldn't worry
> very
> much about the consequences of pot use. That seems unwise to me.
> Cigarettes
> are bad stuff. Alcohol is bad stuff. And pot is bad stuff. At least by my
> reckoning. And as we discuss the question of legalization - about which I
> am
> of two minds - I think we have to consider the fact that pot is harmful to
> a
> signficant percentage of those who use it.
> David Hawpe
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Zachary Sycks [mailto:zra@mindspring.com]
> Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:52 PM
> To: Hawpe, David
> Subject: Editorial - Marijuana is not very funny
>
>
>
> In regards to your article:
> http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060521/COLUMNISTS08/605210375
>
> I am writing to express my contention with the positions of both you and
> Jimmy Moore. First, Jimmy Moore suggests that the government should be in
> the business of taxing and selling marijuana. While I can appreciate
> taxes
> on marijuana just like any other good or service, the notion that
> government
> should become a drug dealer to citizens is utterly foolish.
>
> Marijuana is already a billion dollar industry in the US, with many
> peaceful
> members of the trade. Why not let what has become a thriving industry
> under
> the legal radar become legitimized? This would effectively remove the
> criminal element just as the revocation of alocohol prohibition removed a
> powerful financial prospect from the clutches of organized crime by
> returning it to legitimate enterprise.
>
> Marijuana has among one of the lowest addiction rates of any drug, and in
> many years is often less than that of alcohol or nicotine. According to
> the
> Natioal Institute of Medicine:
>
>
>
>
> [p. 95 "Marijuana and <http://www.nap.edu/readingroom/books/marimed/>
> Medicine," National Institute of Medicine]
>
> Drug Category ****************** Proportion Of Users That Ever Became Dependent (%)
> Tobacco ************************ 32
> Alcohol ************************ 15
> Marijuana (including hashish) ******* 9
> Cocaine ************************ 17
> Heroin ************************ 23
>
> Not to mention, the prohibition of marijuana and other drugs costs
> americans
> billions of dollars every year, not counting lost tax revenue and the
> economic benefits of if it were a legal product. As you even stated,
> "Often, marijuana addiction damages relationships. Its illegality can get
> a
> user arrested." This is circular logic. Marijuana's biggest risk is that
> it is illegal, as the health risks of marijuana themselves are relatively
> minimal on their own and compared to other drugs. To the extent that they
> are worse than tobacco because the smoke is generally unfiltered, most
> tobacco smokers intake far more tobacco smoke by many orders of magnitude
> than do marijuana smokers take in marijuana smoke on a daily basis.
>
> I'll quote you once more to make another point: "Apparently about 10
> percent of those who try the stuff become hooked at some point and 'the
> typical absence of dramatic consequences can make marijuana addiction
> difficult to break.'" This is absolutely correct. The consequences of
> marijuana use, aside from arrest, are relatively low for most users. Even
> your data suggest this. The cost value of marijuana prohibition to
> society
> is very low, and the prohibition of a substance that costs taxpayers more
> than it helps them is a detriment to all of us any way you slice it.
> Creating a criminal subculture out of numerous citizens, including the
> ones
> that you don't see in the news and don't hear about because they lead
> successful lives and have healthy families, is no way to handle our
> nation's
> drug problem.
>
> I'd love to hear your responses and have the opportunity to discuss this
> issue with you more. I've got plenty more where this came from.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Zachary Sycks
> President
> Georgians Opposed to Prohibition



i wonder how many well thought out "letters to the editor" here in atlanta it would take to get some voices to catch on.
Friday, October 14th, 2005
1:49 pm
[zra]
Same story again, this time carried by FOX News / Web MD... LINK


Marijuana-Like Drug Increases Brain Cells, Relieves Depression

Thursday, October 13, 2005
By Miranda Hitti, reviewed by Louise Chang, MD


A drug modeled on marijuana’s active ingredient increased brain cells and appeared to cut anxious, depressed behavior in rats, researchers report.

The drug is called HU210. It’s a synthetic drug that is chemically similar to pot’s active ingredient and activates cannabinoid receptors in the brain.

But HU210 isn’t pot. Pot contains a mix of chemicals, and the body may handle marijuana smoke differently than the administration of HU210.

The researchers included Xia Zhang of the University of Saskatchewan in Canada. They didn’t study people and don’t make any recommendations about pot use.

The study appears in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

Rat ResultsCollapse )
Thursday, October 13th, 2005
7:46 pm
[zra]
Marijuana may spur new brain cells
By STEVE MITCHELL - LINK

WASHINGTON, Oct. 13 (UPI) -- Scientists said Thursday that marijuana appears to promote the development of new brain cells in rats and have anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effects, a finding that could have an impact on the national debate over medical uses of the drug.

Other illegal and legal drugs, including opiates, alcohol, nicotine and cocaine, have been shown to suppress the formation of new brain cells when used chronically, but marijuana's effect on that process was uncertain.

Now, a team led by Xia Zhang of the department of psychiatry at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon may have found evidence the drug spurs new brain cells to form in a region of the brain called the hippocampus, and this in turn reduces anxiety and depression.

Marijuana appears "to be the only illicit drug whose capacity to produce increased ... neurons is positively correlated with its (anti-anxiety) and anti-depressant-like effects," Zhang and colleagues wrote in the November issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation. The paper was posted online Thursday.

Read more...Collapse )

Paul Armentano, senior policy analyst with the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, told UPI he thought the findings "would have a positive impact on moving forward this debate, because it is giving ... a scientific explanation that further supports long-observed anecdotal evidence, and further lends itself to the notion that marijuana, unlike so many other prescription drugs and controlled substances, appears to have incredibly low toxicity and as a result lacks potential harm to the brain that many of these drugs have."

The DEA Web site, however, contends that "marijuana is a dangerous, addictive drug that poses significant health threats to users," including cancer and impaired mental functioning.

Armentano said this is a distortion of what scientific studies actually show. Studies in animals indicate marijuana actually may protect against many forms of cancer, rather than cause the disease, he said. In addition, studies in marijuana smokers have found little evidence of cognitive deficits, and even when they do, the defects disappear if the person stops smoking for 30 days.
Wednesday, June 15th, 2005
2:13 pm
[zra]
Monday, February 14th, 2005
4:11 pm
[zra]
Hey everyone, here are a few upcoming events that just went up on the website as of this morning...

Upcoming events!


The Georgia Legislative Session Begins in January

The GOP Lobby is finalizing strategies for the Georgia legislative session set to start on Jan. 10, 2005. We have formulated achievable goals, but our success largely depends upon your participation! Change will happen only when our elected representatives sense that drug law reform is an issue that you want addressed. Please contact your legislators and tell them to stop wasting tax dollars on a failed drug war! To find out who your legislators are, type in your address in the ”My Elected Officials” box near the bottom of this page.


Friends of the GOP Lobby to perform in Athens, GA on March 2nd, 2005

Asylum Street Spankers will be playing in Athens at Tasty World on Wednesday, March 2nd. Show starts at 7PM. The Asylum Street Spankers are supporters of drug law reform and have worked hand in hand with the GOP Lobby for fundraising events in the past. Please get out and support the band and be part of a documentary!


Busted viewing, Q & A in Athens, GA coffeehouse on February 16th, 2005

On Wednesday, February 16th in Athens, GA at 7PM in a meeting room at the Hot Corner Coffee Shop at the intersection of Hall St and Washington St. Members of Athens police department and Rick Day of the GOP Lobby will be present to answer questions. This is a group effort between the GOP Lobby and the Athens LP.
Wednesday, December 29th, 2004
4:47 pm
[zra]
Sorry to anybody who has seen this already...
####################
TOP STORIES

Today's topics:

2004: The Year In Review
NORML's Top Ten Events That Shaped Marijuana Policy


#1: Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments On Whether Feds Can Prosecute Medical Marijuana PatientsCollapse )

#2: Voters Nationwide Embrace Marijuana Law Reform ProposalsCollapse )

#3: Marijuana Arrests For Year 2003 Hit Record HighCollapse )

#4: Cannabinoids Treat Pain, Protect Brain Cells And DelayCollapse )

#5: NORML Activists Tell Congress: 'We're Here. We Smoke. We Vote.'Collapse )

#6: Canada To Authorize Prescription Use Of First-Ever Medical Cannabis SprayCollapse )

#7: Feds To Employ Hair, Sweat And Saliva Testing For Government WorkersCollapse )

#8: Ninth Circuit Strikes Down Hemp Foods BanCollapse )

#9: Researchers Propose Per Se Guidelines For Cannabis And 'Drugged Driving'Collapse )

#10: Britain: Pot Reclassification Finally Takes EffectCollapse )
Saturday, December 18th, 2004
11:35 pm
[raverzxtazy]
lol hi
umm hi everyone lol i never thought i would join a community called gop lobby but that was because i only thought that meant grand ol party but whatever hi everyone *hug*

Current Mood: enthralled
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004
8:59 pm
[zra]
Monday, September 20th, 2004
3:26 pm
[zra]
COPS consider fines, not jail, for pot possession

"The Chicago Police Department is studying a plan to ticket, instead of arrest, people for possession of marijuana."




If they can do it in Chicago....
My Website   About LiveJournal.com